Military Veterans: Get Help Paying for College

photo of flag and servicememberAre you a military veteran who hasn’t yet taken advantage of financial aid? Check with the Veterans Affairs contact person at your college soon. He or she can help you figure out whether you are eligible for financial help.

Some of the federal and state programs you may be eligible for:

  • VRAP (Veterans Retraining Assistance Program):  VRAP offers up to 12 months of training assistance to unemployed military veterans in high-demand occupations. You must be at least 35 but no more than 60 years old. The number of veterans who can get assistance is limited. Check out our VRAP information page. View a video for a quick overview.
  • Vets to Feds: Under this federal program, veterans earn internships in Internet information technology jobs. The veterans get trained, then, it’s hoped, are hired by the U.S. government.
  • Texas Troops to Teachers:  Under this program, eligible veterans can receive $5,000 to $10,000 to be trained as teachers. They must commit to working for three years in low-income schools.

Learn more about other ways your college can help you and your fellow veterans. And remember: your college’s Veterans Affairs contact person is there to help you.

Leave a comment

Filed under Services

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s