Firefighters work in a variety of settings, including:
- Airport fire teams
- Chemical plant and other industrial site fire teams
- Emergency medical service (EMS) units
- Hazardous materials units
- National park and forest fire teams
- Urban and rural fire departments
Between alarms, firefighters:
- Clean and maintain equipment
- Conduct practice drills and fire inspections
- Participate in physical fitness activities
- Prepare written reports on fire incidents
- Review fire science literature to keep abreast of technological developments and changing administrative practices and policies
Salaries and Projected Job Growth
According to America’s Career InfoNet, fire protection-related jobs offer the following average salaries in Texas. Your professional advancement will depend on your level of continued education and work experience, along with the size of city and part of the country that you work in.
*Numbers represent entire U.S. State numbers are unavailable.
This post is written by Annabell Talavera, a spring student blogger and El Centro College Fashion Design student.
A couple of weeks ago, my classmates and I attended the musical Kinky Boots because last semester we were challenged to create a costume inspired by the show. My wonderful professor was able to work with the Dallas Music Hall and actually got our costumes on display for the entire run of the show!
Words can’t explain the excitement that I felt when I turned the corner and saw my costume — I could hear the angels sing! It is the first time any of my designs have been on display. At that moment, I knew that the sleepless nights my partner, Marla, and I endured were totally worth it. It was great for both of us to finally make something completely out of our box and to create a costume that is all about the sparkle!
The best part of the whole night was seeing all the attention our costumes received. Watching people who were amused by our creations, taking pictures, commenting on their favorites and taking the time to read our bios — it felt great! The musical had great performances and awesome costumes with extremely talented actors.
Afterwards, we were able to speak to some of the cast members. It was awesome hearing their back stories and what it’s like to perform for an award-winning musical. My mind was blown by the behind-the-scenes information they gave us, the detail in the costumes and the entire process costume designers go through to get everything fitted perfectly on every actor. The whole night was surreal, definitely one for the books — such a blessing!
Check out the costumes below. Marla and I designed the black and silver costume with the cage and black bodysuit.
Want to see the costumes up close? The costumes are now display at the Fashion Design department display window at El Centro in building C. Check it out!
Thanks for the read!
***Read all of our student blogger posts. Are you interested in being a student blogger? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Careers and leadership take center stage at Las Llaves del Éxito Leadership and Career Spring Symposium this Saturday, March 28 at Cedar Valley College.
The symposium encourages students to explore their academic and career interests while developing leadership skills essential for their success.
Saturday’s topics include:
- career exploration
- writing resumes and cover letters
- starting a business (for parents)
When: Saturday, March 28, from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Where: Cedar Valley College
- Admission and breakfast are free.
- Participants can pre-register at https://llavesleadershipsymposium.eventbrite.com.
- Complete a Llaves Passport for a chance to win a $500 DCCCD scholarship and other prizes.
- Registration is not required to attend, but it is required for a chance to win the scholarship!